Sunday, May 8, 2011

This week on an all new episode of.........

On Friday night when I arrived at the bar, I felt as if there should be a camera crew with me, because I couldn’t believe that what was happening would actually go down in real life. It had to be scripted – the fates were not this cruel.
After a loverly BBQ with some friends from Dodgeball, I decided to go to The Bar. Wish I hadn’t, but I’m glad I did because I got some much needed answers. I arrive, and Ross and Harry were hanging out, drunk; but who was I to talk. (Harry is another employee who I had a very brief sexual affair with a while ago – but it ended well and we’re still great friends {pattern much?}) The girl from last Friday arrived shortly after – Sandra. She was ecstatic to see me! She said she had had fun the week before and was glad we were getting another chance to hang out. I looked right at Ross and I knew at that moment I had all the answers I needed. She was a nice girl but becoming the BFF she wanted me to be would be too hard. Not too long after that, Aaron arrived. When I saw him, I pinched myself. Was this all happening this way? I shook my head in disbelief and got myself another beer.
The rest of the night seemed to happen in front of me, like I was watching the rerun on MTV. It was already late, but I couldn’t bring myself to leave. I had to see how this was going to play out. Ross was dating this girl, in my bar, right under my nose and he didn’t for one second speak to me or allow me the opportunity to speak to him. Coward.
Aaron followed me around all night – clearly trying to get in my pants. We chatted affably – I’m a forgiving person by nature, probably too forgiving. But if he’s going to be there, I’m not going to get angry and cause a scene. I’m fine with trying to become friends again, but at best that’s all we’ll ever be.
[Aside: Harry is a smart guy and because we had spoken about the nature of our relationship before we started fooling around, when it was time to move one, we both did. We had mature, adult conversations about what we were doing, so neither of us was hurt by the other and we both understood the circumstances. Knowing that we couldn’t continue without it getting super serious, we ended things. He valued his job and we valued our friendship too much to risk ruining that. Now we hang out and have fun together as friends; we share a lot of similar interests so it's great that we we're able to return to that.]
Since I was there by myself, I couldn’t explain the stressed out look I was sporting. With the exception of my prior relationship with Aaron, no one in the room knew about the trifuckta I had gotten myself into. One of the other staff members (Dave) kept asking me to smile – thinking I was stressed about work. HA!
The night was quickly coming to a close. Harry left. I announced I was going to grab a cab and take off. {Shoulda just left!!}. Before I knew it, Dave, Sandra, Ross, Aaron and I were all climbing into a vancab together. FML!
First stop – Ross and Sandra. It was like a punch to the face! Without uttering a word to me, he climbed out of the cab and walked away. It was unnecessarily cruel. I was the next stop and I made sure to hand Aaron $5 (knowing he’d be last out) so he wouldn’t get out at my place. I stumbled up to my apartment, washed my face, crawled into bed – hoping when I woke up this would all go away.
I could hear birds chirping outside and the sun was coming up. I think I learned a lesson tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment