Friday, May 6, 2011

Men are from Mars. Women are from Reality. Part 2

After things with Aaron ended, and I was back to singlehood yet again, I was feeling like I’d been through the ringer and was looking forward to a summer of prowling.
I said as much to my very good friend, Ross. He knew all about the whole sitch with Aaron, and was very supportive through the whole break-up. On Easter Sunday, he sent me a text. I was blindsided. He said he had feelings for me and wanted to talk about the potential of “us”. Whoa!
I haven’t had a guy tell me that in a VERY long time. He admitted that he was looking for a girl that wants settle down and that he’d been into me for a while. Heavy! I told him I wanted us to have a one on one, soon, to ensure that if we go down that road, it would be for the right reasons. AGAIN an ex-employee of mine – although he’s more of a temporary current employee. (I knew I’d never learn any lessons). This could get complicated. Fast. I hate complicated.
Days passed after the initial reveal of new feelings and I hadn’t heard anything from Ross. I was beginning to question his intentions. I asked him what was up. I knew he’d been going through a rough time lately; he just started a new, full-time job and was trying to get his life in order, financially and personally. He said he was really shy with this kind of thing, and that he needed some time to sort through things but he wasn’t backing out, just taking things REALLY slow. [Hein? Then why tell me about it at all!]
He knew I was fresh out of a relationship, and this was all looking too familiar. A good friend, possibly turning into something more, having worked for me for a while; I couldn’t wrap my head around why he was distancing himself after telling me the truth about his feelings. I bumped into him the next night. “Distant” isn’t a long enough word for the space between us. We chatted; he was obviously surprised to see me there (at my own bar!) so he became super shy. After a little while, these girls showed up. I had no idea who they were. Friends? Maybe. I didn’t ask. One of them left after a short time, and the other girl stayed. I’m a good judge of people and could tell that this girl was there just to see him. I couldn’t tell whether or not he knew she was coming that night. I left, alone, about an hour later.
I wanted to know, but I didn’t question him. It’s not my style. Instead I decided that I wasn’t going to wait around for him. If he made a move, and I was still available, then we’d jump off that bridge when we came to it.
This weekend I was feeling restless – I had been cooped up for weeks. I was on the rebound and needed someone to satisfy me on a short term basis. It wasn’t too hard to find someone when you’re on the prowl like I was that night. I had run in to The Bar to fix something and noticed that Ross was working – he said he was just filling in while one of the other guys left for a few hours. I had left some friends at another bar, so I didn’t stay long at The Bar. When I got back there for last call (tradition!), a few more cocktails in, Ross was gone. I found the hottest guy in the place and made him my prey. It didn’t take much, and we left shortly thereafter. I knew the staff had seen me leave, but I still don’t know if that was news enough to make the inner-office gossip column. None of the other staff know about what Ross told me, so they would have thought nothing of joking around about it.
It’s now been a week. No communication whatsoever. I’m having trouble understanding why he would tell me and then behave this way. I’m losing respect for him every minute that goes by and I don’t hear from him. Did his superior on Mars tell him to go down that route?
Considering what I know about people, I believe myself to be a great judge of character. I never would have anticipated this type of behaviour from Ross. Now I’m left worrying that I’ll drunk text him later tonight with no regard for the friendship we once shared. I think they should install a breathalyser for smartphones to prevent such incidents. Is there an app for that??

No comments:

Post a Comment