Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Free as a bird

For the first time ever, I have my own apartment! I can walk around naked (which I do far too often and with total disregard for windows and neighbours), not do the dishes, have random people over whenever I want (like at 2am *wink!), and I always get first dibs on shower time and the remote. It’s so freeing, I never knew how good it could be!

Since I was 18, I have had a very random configuration of roommates. There was the 16 year old Indonesian roommate I had in residence; I think I’ve forever scarred her by showing her a life of drinking (and violently throwing up), promiscuity, and illegal drugs (relax – just pot). In second year I moved in with four other girls – one bi-polar, one who should have moved in with other Mormons (that was unnecessarily insensitive toward Mormons – but she was a real downer). Then there was the one who was so self-involved she hardly realized it was her roommates cleaning up after her. The fourth roommate, Katie became my ultimate partner in crime. [Of course by crime, I’m referring to the reallocation of OSAP funds to drinking and partying.]

From that house of debauchery, I moved back home with the ‘rents (shocker!!) for a very brief time, before they decided “the sticks” was where they wanted to be. They moved about 45 minutes away, east of Ottawa – I was going to Algonquin at the time (west of Ottawa). My Grandparents (may they rest in peace xoxo), offered us up their basement. My brother and I shared a giant room; beds, the Green Monster (couch), a TV, and a bathroom at the end of the hall. This basement scared the bejeezzus out of me when I was a child and even in the two years I lived there, I never really warmed up to it. My uncle (a 40-yr old virgin type) also lived there.....enough said. That ultimately led to living with my BFF.

I said after I moved into my big girl apartment that I felt it would be life changing. It’s only been 2 official weeks and already I’m happier and I feel more in control of my life. I was worried at 20 that I needed to start being more financially responsible – but I think it just kicked in now. I’m focusing on getting the most fun out of the life that I’m currently living; such as christening my apartment in every aspect from first ladies’ night to first overnight guest!

No comments:

Post a Comment